Gum Arabic (Gum Acacia)
Gum Arabic, also known as acacia gum, is a natural gum obtained from the sap of Acacia senegal and Acacia seyal trees. It is a complex mixture of polysaccharides and glycoproteins that are soluble in water. Gum Arabic has been used for centuries for various purposes due to its functional properties.
Here are some of the functionalities and uses of gum Arabic:
- Emulsifier and Stabilizer: Gum Arabic has excellent emulsifying properties, which means it can help mix two or more typically immiscible substances, such as oil and water. It is often used in the food and beverage industry to stabilize emulsions, preventing separation and enhancing the texture and mouthfeel of products like soft drinks, syrups, and ice creams.
- Thickening and Binding Agent: It acts as a thickener in food and pharmaceutical applications. Gum Arabic forms a viscous solution when mixed with water, creating a gel-like consistency. It is commonly used in the production of candies, confectionery, and dessert toppings to provide the desired texture. It can also act as a binding agent, helping ingredients stick together in products like tablets and powders.
- Encapsulation: Gum Arabic is used in encapsulation processes to create microcapsules that can protect sensitive ingredients such as flavors, fragrances, and pharmaceuticals. These microcapsules help to stabilize and control the release of the encapsulated substances.
- Dietary Fiber: Gum Arabic is a source of dietary fiber and can be used to increase the fiber content in food products. It is considered a prebiotic fiber, which means it can serve as a food source for beneficial gut bacteria.
- Film-Forming Agent: Gum Arabic can form a thin, transparent film when dried, which makes it useful as a coating material for various purposes. It is applied to candies, chocolates, and nuts to provide a glossy appearance, prevent moisture loss, and enhance shelf life.
- Pharmaceutical Applications: Gum Arabic is used in the pharmaceutical industry as an excipient in tablet formulations. It can act as a binder, disintegrant, and sustained-release agent.
Our Gum Arabic is a dried gummy exudation of high molecular weight olysaccharides from the Stems and Branchese of Acacia Segenal (L.) Willdenow HN and Acacia Seyal (fam. Leguminosae) MM
NFI Gum Acacia HN and MM
Gum Acacia (Gum Arabic) is a dried gummy exudation of high molecular weight polysaccharides obtained from the stems and branches of Acacia senegal (L.) Willdenow. Purified and spray dried with the highest emulsifying properties
HN version: Beverage, Emulsions, Confectionery and Pharmaceutical,
MM version: Coating, Biding, Glazing, GUmming, Encapsulation, soluble Fiber and bakery
Certification and Regulation:
Complies with EC, BP, DAB, USP/NF, FCC and European Pharmacopoeias
Standard packaging: 25 Kg multilayer paper bag with polyethylene liner
Maximum storage: 3 years
Typical Specification for HN version
|Loss on drying||10% max|
|Total ash||4% max|
|Insoluble matter||0.5% mx|
|Acid insoluble ash||0.5% max|
|Soluble dietary fibre||90% min|
|Glucose & Fructose||Absent|
|Starch, Dextrin and Agar||Absent|
|Viscosity (25% w/w solution), BrookField||70 cps min|
|Specific Optical Rotation (10% w/w solution)|
|Particle size Passing 250 micron (60 Mesh)||95% min|
|Color 25% solution||6 max|